There are many kinds of pets; the usual ones are obviously your dogs and cats. However, certain cute little innocuous shelled creatures that have been on the earth for millions of years, do make wonderful pets. We are talking about turtles as pets. Turtles are sophisticated creatures, simply fascinating to watch. These adorable reptiles have a long lifespan, and could potentially be in your family for generations if they are cared for properly. In addition, they have great eyesight, and an amazing sense of smell.
If you are considering having turtles as pets, and you plan to add a turtle to your family as your new friend, the following information should be helpful:
- The first obvious thing that you should do is to purchase an aquarium tank, if you want to have turtles as pets. The tank should at least have 10 gallon or 40 liter capacity. The purpose here is to make sure there is enough room for your new friend to grow and remain healthy. Therefore, a larger tank is preferable.
- Turtles need to remain dry and lay in the sun (bask) sometimes, because they cannot make their own heat. Therefore, you need to make a platform or area in the aquarium for your turtle, for this purpose. You can build a small mound with aquarium gravel, or a wooden platform that is safe for the turtle.
- It goes without saying that these creatures need sufficient water to swim in.
- You need to be certain that the turtle aquarium is set by the window, or somewhere with adequate lighting. The most suitable temperature should be 80 degrees Fahrenheit for the day, and 70 degrees Fahrenheit at night. This also ensures a much-needed dose of Vitamin D for its health.
- You should set a UV lamp for your little shelled reptile to lie in the heat when required. It should be noted that this UV treatment should be done for 15 minutes, twice a week.
- Turtles have their specific food. You can check this at your pet store, and provide a suitable and appropriate diet for your little friend.
- You need to avoid mistreating it by over handling the creature. You should not constantly remove it from its habitat, as this can change their body temperature and harm their immune system.
- The tank should be regularly cleaned every 4 or 5 days.
The above measures will help maintain a healthy and active environment for your cute friend. Moreover, it’ll keep it safe and comfortable.